Lighthouse switch-over 1993

In December 1993 the high light was turned off and the low light turned back on after a hiatus of 25 years. Two children were involved in the ceremony: Gemma Parsons (6) and Andrew Brown (10). Here is an introduction to the event written by Desmond Parsons, Gemma’s father:

Western Daily Press 18th Dec 1993.


John Brewer presenting Gemma with a previously used bulb from the high light in front of the switch box after the switch-off.
The bulb was manufactured by Thorn and rated at 100 volts & 1000 watts. Seen here mounted for display.
Andrew at the low light, Sedgemoor News Spring 1994.

Andrew required a safety harness to climb the ladder to the low light, accompanied by Captain Peter Lee.

Thanks to Des Parsons for all information and images.