The Woodman family were well known shoe makers in the town for several generations. An extract from the journal of the local archaeological and natural history society in 1996 gives a good history, starting with the premises the family occupied in Victoria St.
An advert from 1970 made use of the family history:
Below is a receipt from the business, dated 1873:
Another advert from the early 20th century:
Derek Woodman recalled from shop records that in 1898 women’s button walking boots with military heels cost 2/9d a pair and women’s black beaded dress shoes cost 1/11d. Men’s Oxford shoes were from 2/6d a pair and best quality hob nailed lace boots from 5/6d a pair.
This newspaper clipping (date unknown) brings the family trading story to a close: