‘CHILDREN’S CORNER’ THROUGH THE AGES
The area of beach in front of the Reed Arms, in the angle of the jetty and esplanade, has over the years been the spot upon which children’s amusements have been set up. This is probably due to ease of access from the jetty and also that this is the area last covered by the tide.
Does anyone know when this area first became known as ‘children’s corner’? It is identified as such on the second coloured postcard below but the date of that card is presently unknown.
1911-1912: Pavilion completed but new sea wall is not complete and south shelter not updated.
Date unknown. The variety of amusements appears to have increased. Note Gratton Bros. name on left hand set of ‘American Parkswings’. Farthings also ran a set of swingboats here.
A busy day, date unknown.
The area seems to have been the main focus of beach stalls . In the picture below what appear to be vendors can be seen though produce not much in evidence, possibly due to state of tide. A figure in the centre could be an artist with easel but more likely a photographer. The new south shelter dates this as after 1912.
A closer view above of a more substantial beach stall, identified as possibly Farthing’s. Below is Antonio’s Ice Cream cart under the north shelter before 1912.
Attributed to 1923
Date unknown. The green roofed structure is possibly a refreshment stall (see below)
Date unknown but later. The structure on the beach, similar in design to the green roofed one above but in a different position, is identified as a cafe. Note that the shelter on the Esplanade has now been extended.
Attributed to 1961
Judging by the car this would have been in the late 1970’s or 1980’s
A picture attributed to 1904 taken from almost the same spot. Note the absence of the Pavilion and children’s amusements.
The Western Gazette Friday August 21st 1885:
‘ANNUAL DONKEY SHOW. – The annual exhibition of sand and other donkeys was held at Burnham on Tuesday afternoon last, in brilliant weather. The spectators were more numerous than last year, and the donkeys also made a better show…….It was expressly laid down that all the animals intended for a prize should be well fed, well cared for, and free from marks of cruel use. We are pleased to be able to state that no animal was disqualified on these grounds…….Two bare-backed donkey races were afterwards arranged on the ground, and caused almost endless amusement…… Much credit is due to Mrs M.B. White, the hon. sec., for her kind and humane efforts on behalf of the formerly ill-used sand donkeys of Burnham.’
Attributed to 1907: note the bandstand in the background where the Pavilion now stands, opposite the gable ends of the old school building. These are identified as Thomas’s Donkeys.
Attributed to 1912
Photo kindly supplied by Paul Wynn. Paul tells us that the man in charge of the donkeys was a relative of his grandparents who lived in Victoria Cottages, Victoria St, and stabled the donkeys opposite the Cottages where the shelter is now.
Predates building of Pavilion in 1911. Note bell type changing tents on wheels.
After 1911. The tents have been replaced with wooden huts on wheels. The one at the front has an advertisement on the side for Bellringer & Watts, Sanitary Engineers & Plumbers, Princess St.
Closer picture from around the same time.
Postcard dated 1915. The hut on the far right has an advert on the side for ‘Ye Old Curiosity Shop’ at 85 Oxford St.
Lifeguards: judging by the crowds this must have been a life saving display, date unknown
This appears, from the dress, to be Edwardian. Any information about this remarkable entertainment would be most welcome.
The picture above appears to be of a small Pierrot Troupe between 1902 & 1911.
Above : Pelman’s Punch and Judy, 1953
Below: from Burnham on Sea Guide c. 1950. Entertainer not specified.
Freddie Fay’s Frolics
Freddy Fay was a professional entertainer who put on family entertainments on the beach after the Second World War. His wife, daughter and son-in-law were all included in the cast. His daughter Erin afterwards became a projectionist at the Highbridge Picture House and at the Ritz Cinema in Burnham. (ref. Winston & Robert Thomas, 2011)
A earlier Pierrot show, before 1911.
Horse Racing on the beach. Date unknown. Does anyone have any information about this?
Below is a photo of ‘The Daily Mirror Eight’ promotional team (though oddly only 7 appear)
I’m not sure whether this exactly counts as entertainment, even in 1907, but here is a picture of the Children’s Mission conducting a service on the beach.
Below is a photo of north sands before the building of the paddling & model boat pool.
The paddling pool was constructed in 1921 (centre below) at the expense of Joseph Bevan Braithwaite to commemorate the safe return of his 5 sons from world war I. A plaque on the new sea wall commemorates this.
And of course we mustn’t forget sand castles
Poles on beach to prevent landing of enemy aircraft during World War II.
on 31st December 1945 a B17 bomber ran out of fuel after having been diverted due to weather and crash landed on Burnham beach.
WELL OF ALL THE CHEEK!
Could this be the reason?
“During the summer months of those years which followed the end of the First World War hundreds of people from the one time slum areas of Bristol were daily brought by char-a-banc to Burnham to enjoy an inexpensive visit to the seaside. It was not unusual on such occasions for whole families, mother father and children together with grandparents uncles and aunts to come on these trips. After one or two glasses of the local brew had rid the women folk of any inhibitions, they often took to dancing their own particular version of the can-can on the pavement or in the street, outside whichever public house they happened to be visiting, to the accompaniment of the inevitable concertina, with occasionally that of a barrel organ for good measure” -from The Book of Burnham on Sea’ by Winston and Robert Thomas