On this page we will post pictures or questions about which we need further information from our readers.
If you can illuminate any of these please post in the comments box at the bottom of the page.
GRAVES OF EVACUEES
Neil Olsen has alerted us to graves of two WWII evacuees from London in the Burnham cemetery: Florence Rose (1926 – 1941) who died aged 15 whilst evacuated; and Louisa Hines c1900 – 1941. The latter was clearly not a child so her status as an evacuee is interesting.
Does anyone out there have any additional information about these two individuals?
Some additional information has been discovered, reported here.
Does anyone know anything about this school? We have no record at all other than this recently discovered advert from 1963.
Occupier of Treowen (38 Berrow Road) was Edwin Lawrence from c1894 to 1902, taken from Census returns and Kellys Directories.
DUCK IN THE BARREL
Burnham Gazette of 06/08/1898. An inquest into the death of the son of the Gas Works Manager, W.Stone, in which he was said to have drowned whilst playing “Duck in the Barrel”. William Thomas Stone born 1873 son of William Stone death was registered in the September quarter of 1898, age 25. Does anyone know the exact nature of this apparently dangerous pastime?
Does anyone know anything about this house:
As most houses in Burnham were brick built, simply because the basic material was at hand, it is possible that as this house was built in stone it was done as a statement of wealth and status. Obviously the stone would have had to be imported, probably from Bleadon, which would have added to the cost.
Could it be Greystones / Graystones which was somewhere in Rectory Road?
21/01/2021 Updated information confirms that this is NOT Greystones. As the owner of Greystones was a member of the Akerman family who were involved with concrete products, it is appears that Greystones was constructed entirely of concrete, as was The Mount (a picture of it can be seen on that page). Occupier of The Mount was William Savidge Akerman and family, “cement manufacturer” in the 1901 Census.
Still looking for information on this stone built house.
This picture is labelled ‘Pruen’s Car’, but it does not appear to be an unrestored Fiery Liz, a Daimler, as it seems to be described as a Standard. It appears to have been photographed at the north end of Alfred St (High St). Can anyone throw any light on the story of this vehicle and the claim made on the sign?
Des Parsons tells us:” it appears it is a Standard. I think it is a 1913 – 1918 Standard Model S, but with a two seater tourer body called a RHYL. It was a 4cyl side valve engine, 9.5HP, 1087cc. This dates the picture at later than 1913. I would think it was much, much later as you would not want to use your newish car for hill climbing! ”
CLIFFORD HOUSE / OCEAN WAVE HOUSE
Please see the ‘Ocean Wave’ page for background information to this puzzle.
It appears that Clifford House, which until a few years ago housed a sub post office, and Ocean Wave house may have occupied the same or adjacent sites. There is also information that a yard at the rear was occupied by a sculptor, Arthur Emery, during the early 1900’s. However the detailed history of this corner of Abingdon St is not clear. Can anyone shed any further light on this?
RECREATIONAL CYCLISTS OF THE 19TH CENTURY
Just the thing when you want to give the horses a day off.
The only thing we know about this photo is that it was taken somewhere in Burnham.
The census information for 1861 and 1871 identified a property, somewhere around the junction of Alfred St (High St) and Abingdon St, by the name of Mount Pleasant (an odd name for a property in such a flat area). It is not clear from the enumeration exactly where this property stood and no references have been found to it in any other sources. The 1861 record shows it to have been occupied by two separate households: George & Susan Butt and Mary Ann Pearce. George is listed as a Chelsea Pensioner (aged 42) and both Susan & Mary Ann are listed as lodging house keepers. The other members of these households appear to be either dependents of the above named or single individuals, probably lodgers.
The 1871 census is more confusing as it lists ‘Mount Pleasant’ in two separated blocks of enumeration: the first is occupied by Maria Richards and her family and the second is itself subdivided into three households (those of Christopher & Elizabeth Hayman; James & Mary Harris and Thomas & Mary Phelps), all of which appear to be single family occupations.
It appears that this was a substantial property which was subdivided but all other trace seems lost.
Does anyone have any additional information?
Clearly taken on manor Rd, opposite the gardens. The placard on the lamp post says ‘Town Decorating by Burnham Area Youth Club’. It appears to be late 1950’s or early 1960’s. Was this a regular event or a one off? Does anyone have recollections or information about this?
Is this possibly a celebration of Armistice Day or Empire Day, or something else; and where, possibly the Town (Princess) Hall?????