Once a social hub for the maritime community in Burnham, subsequently a boarding house and a care home for children and now a private residence once more.
Although this building was standing by the time of the Peachey Williams survey of 1838 it is likely it was a private residence of some importance at that time, as it is one of only two listed as ‘House and lawn’ rather than ‘House and garden’ suggesting the owners were of the leisured class.
The first reference to the ‘Steam Packet Inn’ is in 1861 when the Licensee is given as John Neck. Throughout the 1860’s it provided commercial accommodation and some stabling facilities. Next door to the Customs House, it was a popular rendezvous for the seafaring community.
Sometime between 1866 and 1871/2 it was acquired by Millicent Bowley and began operation as an apartment and boarding house and was renamed York House. In the 20th century it became a Residential Home operated by Somerset County Council. During the 1960’s & 1970’s it accommodated children.