As yet we have few details about the Burnham Fire service. The picture at the top of the page and the four below have no names attached to them.
The Princess Hall was originally constructed in 1868-69 as a market hall and town hall. Originally it is believed the east end was open to the street for access to the market. At some point this end was enclosed (see Princess St) and it was developed for use as a fire station. From the picture at the top of the page it can be seen that this occurred some time before the installation of the folding doors (below) which many of us will remember.
FIRE AT POPLE’S YARD
In 1913 there was a large fire at Pople’s builders yard in the centre of Burnham Town behind the High St premises now occupied by Boot’s .
Above is a picture of a crowd watching the fire from the Technical St end. Below are pictures of the fire fighters in action and the aftermath. Note the C.P. initials on the cards referring to Charles Pearson, local photographer.
There is anecdotal evidence that in the photo above the man in the centre has a chicken under each arm. He was about to give these to a couple of young lads to put in a nearby garden to prevent their escape. Pople’s building materials can be seen scattered around.
The appliances used at this fire may well have been similar to the one below (photo undated).
Does anyone have any details about this?