In 1855 the ‘National School’ establishment, later to become St Andrew’s school, was erected on the Esplanade at the expense of George Reed, the town’s foremost citizen of that period. A number of less wealthy residents had tried unsuccessfully for several years to raise money for a school until in 1854 George Reed gave a site, described as a sand warren, on the sea front at the top of what is now College Street, for education of children “of labouring, manufacturing and other poorer classes”. He also covered the cost of of building the school and master’s house (£907).
The school was opened in 1857. Reed also unexpectedly had to buy freehold as the Dean of the Chapter of Wells (Lord of the Manor) refused to convert, from rent paying ‘copyhold’, free or at nominal charge as Reed had been lead to expect. A Government grant of £200 was made for fitting out and equipping the school. In 1876 a second Government grant was made towards improving facilities (£124.16.10). 1863 log book shows a staff of master and wife (who taught needlework) and 33 children, which was soon up to 72. A fee of 2d per week was charged but waived or paid from public funds in the neediest cases. The Hours were 9-12 and 2-4.
During this time pupil attendances dropped during blackberry picking and also when there was a sale of wreckage on the jetty. Due to its exposed position the school incurred gale damage and initially the only heating was from coal fire which smoked badly in a west wind.
The original building, which stood where the modern flats & shops units now stand on the College Street frontage and can be clearly seen in the picture at the top of the page, was later extended northwards along the esplanade side of the site in 1874 and 1890, after which there was no room left for further development. The name St Andrew’s was adopted in December 1906. St Andrew’s school moved to its present purpose built premises in March 1973. The old buildings were demolished in 1980.