Owing to the amount of shipping trade entering the river Parrett Burnham had its own Custom House on the Esplanade (currently a Fish and chips Bar). Erected in 1846, it was used principally to check goods arriving from overseas and bound for the Ports of Bridgwater and Langport. The first recorded occupier was William Ward (1866) who was ‘Tide surveyor (Customs)’ it is not known how long he had been there but records show that in the mid-20th Century the customs work came under jurisdiction of Bridgwater. The building was also known as ‘Flag Staff House’ due to signal mast on the opposite side of Esplanade. (See York House entry).
Follow this link for more information about shipping.