Originally the November ‘Guy Fawkes’ Carnival was a Highbridge event, starting at The Artillery Arms and progressing only as far as the end of Burnham Rd.
“The Centennial Bride” Was by the Huntspill Road Gang ( Mrs Cook and party) who won the Skrimshire Cup for best local entry and first prize for local Tableau on Vehicle in the Highbridge Winter Carnival 1949, starting at the Artillery Arms.
During the 1960’s the carnival route was extended into Burnham, Mr Bill Puddy (at right, on float below) being a major influence in that process.
The Summer Carnivals were eventually abandoned and the Winter Carnival took on the form in which we know it today.
The article below from the Bridgwater Mercury of 1982 gives some of the history of the developments in the period up to that time.
Press clipping below from 1995 marking the 21st anniversary of the Hillview C.C.:
Thanks to Ann Popham for photographs and information.