These are probably the earliest pictures we have of what are likely to be pilots or other sea-farers at the top of the jetty. Probably taken in the late 19th century. The bottom one is clearly posed and there is speculation that the gentleman pointing is intended to signify the arrival of a vessel.
Below is a brig in the bay.
Above is a traditional ‘flatner’, a double ended, flat bottomed, open boat idea for use on the tidal River Parrett with its muddy banks. This particular boat is the Gore (19ft 6in) built by Henry Wilkins of Combwich and H.J. Kimber of Highbridge. Two men were needed to sail the boat, one to control the rudder and mainsheet, the other to operate the jibsheet and forward dagger board. Flatners were constructed of tongue and groove planks on a timber framed covered inside and out with tar. They were used throughout the year for fishing in the river and estuary. Smaller versions of these vessels were used for on the rhines for carrying harvested withies.(Thanks to Rita Probert and her book ‘Beyond the Shadows’ for this information)
Tugs, Victor and Bonita
The Somerset and Dorset Railway’s ‘Alpha’.
Below are some examples of the steamers that called at Burnham . The dates of the photos are not known. For more information see the jetty page.
The Lady Mary on the Burnham to Cardiff run.
P.S. Heather Belle 1860’s
Hunt’s ‘Heather Belle’. A later ship of the same name.
P.S. Ruby, wrecked at the jetty 1868.
The Waverley (not the same as the one which currently works the channel). This particular departure was for a trip around the bay. The boy sitting on the side of the jetty is Fred King, son of the pilot ‘Titch’ King, who can be seen mounting the steps on the boat. Many decades later Fred told Glyn Luxon that he was crying because his father had refused to take him on the trip.
Below is an article from the Highbridge, Weston and Burnham Advertiser of 20th Jan 1940 (with apologies for the poor quality of the reproduction).
Above: ‘Titch’ King’s pilot boat ‘Polly’. Below ‘Titch’ enjoying a pipe alongside the jetty.
A group of pilots at the top of the jetty. The little fella is in the centre. (Note the billboard behind advertising the Lifeboat Restaurant)
Another group photo taken in front of the ‘Cathedral’ (see South Esplanade page). It is said that one of the tables in the ‘Cathedral’ had the corner cut off in order to allow Titch King to get in behind it. Another story is that a prank was played by youngsters climbing on the top of the carriage and tipping pepper down the chimney, causing the occupants to exit rapidly with streaming eyes.
Article in Highbridge, Weston & Burnham Advertiser 1940:
Below are some examples of cargo vessels in the bay:
The Primula, of Oslo, and tug Rexford, date not known.
M.V. Burgundy aground, 1970
Above: tanker heading for Dunball oil depot.
Dredgers still navigate the Parrett to unload at Dunball wharf.
Photo above from 1950’s or 60’s
For a brief period during the 1980’s a hovercraft service operated taking in Weston, Burnham, Minehead, Barry and Cardiff. This had been a long time coming following an experimentgal service from Weston to Penarth in 1963.
Pictures above from 1985. The remains of Marine Lake can be seen in the background.
Thanks due to Glyn Luxon (deceased) from who’s archive most of these pictures have been obtained.