Follow this link for pdf of Pier St & Abingdon St map
Pier Street was laid out by George Reed in the late 1850’s at the same time as the building of the Reed’s Arms Hotel and its ‘Tap Room’ the Pier Hotel. This also involved the laying down of road sections along the Western front of the Hotel, linking up to the newly developed North Esplanade, and joining the High Street to the Station. Burnham College was built at the eastern end of the street, opposite the station
The purpose built Lifeboat House stood just behind the railway station at the east end of the street. It was converted for use as a Boy Scouts headquarters after 1930.
The building was converted to a play centre for a period in the late 20th Century before being turned into a cafe.
In the pictures above Primrose Cottage (see below) is visible on the right. The building beyond that was at one time Burnham Garden Centre as can be seen in the pictures below taken shortly before its closure in the early 21st century.
The next picture shows a Cub Scout and Brownie parade crossing Pier St. before the construction of the supermarket building. The picture is dated 1982. The British Legion building can be seen in the background.
The picture below shows the beginning of the construction of the supermarket building which was done under the ‘Gateway’ company banner but rebranded on opening as the first ‘Somerfield’ store in the country in 1990. It appears that the Scouts may have been having table-top sale.
Above is a photo of the site on which the supermarket was built taken before the demolition of the railway station and lifting of the line. Below is a postcard from the mid 1930’s showing amusements which used to stand on the site.
The photo below from the 1960’s shows the derelict buffer stop track and the row of shops on the north side, east of The Reeds Arms and The Pier Tavern. The Toy Cupboard has been in residence since at least the 1951 and Fortes Ice Cream Parlour & Restaurant since the 1930’s
The advert below is from the 1980 Burnham Guide.
It is thought that the two business below may both have been run by the Bartlett family and possibly both occupied what had been the British Legion building after the B.L. moved out. These adverts are from the late 1970’s / early 1980’s.
Photo below shows roundabout at the old station approach at the junction of Pier St, High St & Abingdon St adorned with ‘town decorations’, probably in the 1950’s or early 60’s. The horse trough still stands in approximately the same place today.