The earliest information dates from 1883 when Ernest Albert Russell was the Headmaster.
The building remained a college until at least 1889. Mate’s Guide of 1903 shows it was a Restaurant at this time. The relationship to the Russells appeared to continue as their name appears on the advert.
Notes on the history of Burnham schools by Ewan Strickland indicate that Burnham College amalgamated with Oakover School when its own premises changed to a hotel.
The ground floor in later years became a Co-op store and then a shoe shop.
This plan of Burnham of 1852 shows the college being on the same site as the current structure.
For more information about the High St click here